Friday, September 10, 2010

God's Homecoming

It has been Homecoming week here and three days beforehand my daughter announced she would be going. No date-thank God-but with friends. I slowly realized that that meant taking her favorite dress to the cleaners. Plus checking on her shoes that went with the dress. During an excruciatingly painful early morning anxiety attack it also meant a corsage. Of which I had a horrible feeling there were none left.
So, after dress cleaning and shoe checking and corsage begging we seemed to be okay. Then, I learned her friends were all going out to eat. Lovely. Another mom and I will be accompanying the dining festivities. Just a precaution...
I have overheard many a frenzied mother these past few weeks talking about matching sons shirts with girlfriends dresses and finding the right shoe for their daughters lovelies. Fun times, fun times.
It made me think about Homecoming when I was younger. Dresses and shoes and flowers. The big dance and the big game. Who would be crowned Homecoming Queen...And a lot of other things I'm glad my daughter doesn't do. And hopefully there's no "yet" in that sentence.
These memories made me ponder God's Homecoming. How will He find our clothes? In our house, scattered everywhere. What about our hair? I have perpetual bad hair days so there's a zero on that score card. What about the big game? God seems to shoot pretty much from the hip so I don't think He plays many games. The final score, however, will be of interest to Him.
When God comes to your home, how will He find it? It is my fervent hope and prayer everyone's final score will be a win-win situation for both home and guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment