Monday, March 7, 2011

God's Name

Has anyone noticed that lots of people are taking the Lord's name in vain lately? We hear it in movies, in classrooms, in songs; everywhere. It's almost a cool thing to say, like the latest slang.
Does anyone ever remember that this is a commandment? Putting "damn" behind it is fairly popular too. My friends in the South that I went to school with NEVER said it. And I mean never. I greatly admired them for that. I admired them for a lot but that was the most admirable trait.
The other day I heard my little one say it. I nearly fell over. I explained why we don't say it, that we are to respect God's name. Always. I think she/he understood.
Of course I've said it. I've cursed with it too. I'm not proud of that fact. I pray and ask God to help me recall my advice to my children. God's name is holy. Call on Him in joy and sorrow. Even in anger. But do it properly. He's always there to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment