Thursday, July 5, 2012

God's In-Laws

     I know, I know.  A new blog?  Yes, a new blog.  I'm going to try even harder to post one once a week.  I could tell you the reasons why it's been so long, but instead I'm going to write about it.
     My father-in-law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the end of February.  He passed away on June 1.  I knew when I saw my sister-in-law's number come up on my cell he had died.  I was in the check-out line in Wal-Mart.  It's amazing how ambidextrous one can be when needed.
     My husband was supposed to travel to China the next day.  My sister-in-law worried he had already left.  I assured her he hadn't and promised to call him.  When I did he had just talked to his mother.  So, he knew.  I then had to tell our kids.  We were, unfortunately, all expecting this.  We prepared our children as much as possible.  Still, its never easy.  I swallowed so much while telling them I thought I might get sick.  And, they were nontheless surprised and shaken.
     We threw our stuff together and headed South.  We were able to help with the arrangements.  Everyone seemed to be holding together fairly well.  However, his loss of presence was immediately felt.  I kept waiting for him to come home from a meeting or Bible study or hospital visit.  My father-in-law was a retired Lutheran pastor.  He still led a Bible study.  He probably hadn't had too many meetings or visits in the past several years but this had been such a huge part of him when I first became a member of the family that to me it was natural to still see him in that light.  He loved to preach/teach most of all.  He led lots of lost people to Jesus. 
     The room grew smaller without his presence, especially when his brothers arrived.  Clowning around as usual, his love of laughter and goofy jokes was noticeably absent. Three now and not four, something was definately off.
     The visitation and funeral were mostly a blur.  I don't give much attention to the dweller of the casket.  That wasn't my father-in-law anyway. 
     We had visited him a week before.  He was exhausted.  When we left, I told him goodbye last.  I wanted my husband and kids to have extra time, not to feel rushed.  I told him I was the last person to wake him up to say goodbye.  Then, I told him something I'd never said before.  I love you.  He looked me right in the eye.  "I love you, too."  That is a great final memory.  I was a little shocked.  There were times when I'd grown frustrated with him and informed him in a less than tactful way.  And I'm sure he wondered why in the name of all that was good and holy had his wonderful son married such a mouthy, German, Scotch/Irish girl.
     Secretly, I'd always known it was because we were alot alike.  Except for the mouthy, Scotch/Irish girl part.  Yes, I really did just admit that.  In print.  For prosperity.
     My mother-in-law was shocked by all the people who came to pay their respects.  It didn't surprise me.  I had no doubts there.  No one is perfect but we can strive to live a Godly life.  My father-in-law did that very thing.  And he inspired many more of us to follow in his footsteps.  
    

1 comment: