Tuesday, June 14, 2011

God's VBS

It's Vacation Bible School-yes I'm captalizing it-for many of us. I have great memories of Bible School! And so whether I am teaching, crafting or whatever, I want the little ones entrusted to my care to have fun like I did back in the day.
This year, I am helping out in crafts. A friend of mine is in charge. God bless her straight to Heaven. I don't think I could count out all the items needed for one day of crafts, let alone five. Yesterday we painted. Yeah...'nuff said there. Today, we made tamborines out of paper plates. Hole punched rims served as perilous tunnels to which ribbons were fed through. Little jingle bells were attached to make joyous music unto the Lord and decorate everything up right.
Though some of the boys wanted "manly" colors of ribbon and some girls wanted "brighter" colors, they all turned out beautifully. Stringing the ribbons through the bells and even the holes of the plates was daunting for some of us (and yes, that includes this craft helper.)
One little girl had many questions which I happily obliged to answer. When I was across the table helping someone else and her teacher approached to offer assistance, she waved her off. "I want her," she said pointing to me. I now have a new bff. Honestly, it warmed my heart since my children not only are embarrassed to be seen with me in public but treat me as though I have the plague at home too.
I marveled at the three year olds. I forgot how little these special ones are. I noticed one child's small hand smudged with paint. The tiny browness of it made me want to cuddle her close. Then again, since I'm the reincarnation of Typhoid Mary I refrained. Don't want to give the cheese touch to anyone else.
As I run here and there for crafts I ponder how God would run VBS. It would be run perfectly I know. That's a given. But I think it would be full of special moments. Loads of hugs, laughter and a deeper understanding of who our awesome God really is. And, this realization doesn't include only the children. We adults are reminded of Him too and all He sacrificed for us. I look around at our VBS and know we are pretty darn close to having accomplished all God would want us to achieve! Thanks to everyone everywhere who is doing the same this summer for God and His children-no matter what the age!

No comments:

Post a Comment