Monday, May 10, 2010

Camp Time

Summer is fast approaching. Though many moms shirk from the thought and the eventual "I'm bored" summer can bring from the the offspring, I have found a large number of moms who look forward to summer. A slower pace and no school responsibilities fuel this opinion. Having the kids home is a challenge; none of these moms would argue that fact. What they would argue is summer is what we moms make it. After working in a few daycares before I had kids, I realized having a day somewhat like a daycare schedule kept things varied and fresh. Now that my kids are all in school, summer is when I put this plan into action. Time for crafts, some type of music-we really don't sing anymore; that would make me an even bigger embarassment than I all ready am-but listening to the radio or a tape or practicing piano works in my book, game time, reading together or reading together silently, etc.
I have a friend who does "camps" at home. Its cheaper she maintains and sending her kids away just doesn't register on her radar. I admire that. One of her camps is cooking. Sometimes the kids help her with the whole meal or just a simple batch of brownies but the point is she and her children are spending time together. They aren't stressed with running to several different activities and her kids are learning something useful. And, they all are actually having fun.
I have to admit I was a little skeptical. Trying this with my kids was not a trip down lollipop lane the first time. So, I scaled it back some to only making a simple batch of cookies. Hmm...better. The most memorable was making lasagna. We sort of had a revolving door policy that day. It worked well and I felt really good about it. And let's face it, we all need to feel like a good mom a lot more these days.
No matter what "camp" one chooses, (and there is nothing wrong with going away to camp just maybe not thirty in one summer), have fun spending time with your kiddos! That is the true meaning of summer and motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment