Saturday, May 15, 2010

Parents'-the Ultimate Embarassment

It is amazing to me what embarasses our kids these days. When I was a kid, it was black socks with sandals. Or, in my Dad's case, he'd mow the grass in his very own creation: cut-offs he himself cut off that looked more like gauchos then shorts, a headband, and cowboy boots. Then, he added a red and white checkered shirt for a trip to town. He never could understand why we were all really busy when he asked if we wanted to go to town with him. Thank God we lived in the country. As for my Mom she'd fix my hair or clothes in public. Or, comment on the dark circles under my eyes in front of really cool people. My mother-in-law once commented on my husband's toenail fungus to me. We were dating then and I could tell he wanted to crawl in the deepest hole available. I just hugged him and told him that only made him more real to me. Maybe that's one of the many reasons I married him-he was the real deal.
I don't know what my husband does to embarass my kids. They seem to think he's pretty groovey. As for me, today I played air guitar to a really cool Genesis song with my golf club while miniature golfing. My kids couldn't believe it. I heard stuff like, "Mom, please stop. You are really embarassing." My Mom was along and thought that the whole situation was hilarious. I thought I was being pretty cool to even think of it. My husband just shook his head.
One parent we never have to be embarassed about is God. Have you ever seen a sunset? He is the ultimate cool parent. So, I guess embarassing our kids is a rite of passage. I sort of enjoy it. As for the golf club guitar I just played on. And so did my kids-three miniature greens in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment