Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jesus Is The Bees' Knees

We just finished another week of Vacation Bible School at our church. I don't know if it's suppose to be capitalized but I think it should be. It was fun as usual. More than fun-it was special. I could feel Jesus in the air.
I helped in the kitchen this year instead of teaching. I saw many children passing by while we made ready the snacks. Some were very little holding each other's hands. Some were very big trying to act like they were too old to enjoy Bible School. They weren't fooling anyone. They were having a great time.
Of course I reflected on Bible School when I was young. We went for two hours, sang "Jesus Loves Me", ate cookies and drank Kool-Aid, made God's eyes and played on the merry-go-round. Nowadays Bible School is more like a camp with drama and larger than life music and videoes. There are different themes every year. (This year we had a bee theme.) Artisic crafts that parents are excited to hang up rather than seriously considering hiding them.
One thing that has not changed though is the Jesus stories. I love a good Jesus story. No matter how many times you've heard His stories they still rock. Sure, now they are complete with a puppet show or even a dramatic portrayal but still they are His. And our children are reminded as are we that we are still His. Even when one only helps with the snacks.
The first day snack-wise I had to make a zigzag line with icing and put a beautiful bee on the end of it. Zigzag was our journey to find Jesus and Jesus was the bee. That simple message touched my heart. God made the whale and the bee. One day the mighty lion and the shy lamb will lie down together. I look forward to that day. Some days, I long for it. And for Him. He sent His son for all to be saved. Loving us like that is incomprehensible yet extremely acceptable. And consoling.
No matter how we help with our Bible Schools we are touched by God's love for us. And His very special Son. We all know the song. And when I think of it I have to add just one more thing: Jesus is the bee's knees in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment